Swaffham is a Georgian Market Town and a street market is still held every Saturday morning. The Methodist Church was built in 1813 and is situated close to the heart of the town and within sight of the town’s famous Butter Cross.
The church is active in the life of the local community, sharing its Christian values, renowned for its hospitality and offering a safe place of welcome and encounter for all.
John Wesley himself visited Swaffham on two occasions which are recorded in his journal. An entry from 1790 states: “A congregation was ready here, that filled the house, and seemed quite willing to take instruction.” Worship at Swaffham Methodist Church has continued unbroken for over 200 years.
Our Mission Statement: 'To provide a safe place of welcome and encounter for all, where the Christian message can be shared and explored in the spirit of hope and purpose'.
Address: 3 London Street, Swaffham, PE37 7DD.
Minister: Revd. Jacqui Horton and Deacon Jen Woodfin
Telephone: 01760 720858
Morning Worship: Every Sunday at 10:45am
- The Market Place Drop-In: every Tuesday morning for tea/coffee, biscuits, chat and company.
- Swaffham Friendship Group: 2nd and 4th Thursdays with guest speakers, tea and fellowship. (September to May).
- Power of Prayer Group – every Friday at 9:30am.
In addition, there are Coffee Mornings, Ploughmen’s Lunches, evenings of music, poetry, film and history.
Regular users of the church premises include:
- The Phoenix Singers - Monday evenings
- Yoga4Breath Classic Yoga - Tuesday evenings
- Yoga4breath Chair Yoga - Wednesday mornings
- Tai Chi - Thursday evenings
Accessibility at Swaffham
The Methodist Church wishes to be an environment where all feel welcome and cared for. We are an inclusive and dementia friendly church and offer facilities for the widest possible access:
- Wheelchair Access (we also have a wheelchair available for use)
- Accessible Toilet
- Hearing Loops in both Church and Hall.
- Large Print books and service sheets.
In addition to the above, the church has a well-equipped kitchen and flexible room space available to hire for a wide variety of church and community activities. We have excellent AV equipment including a large screen, high quality 'sound and vision' projection facilities plus CD and DVD/Blu-Ray players.
We are committed to actively pursuing green and eco-friendly initiatives whenever possible, for example through our recently installed air source heat pump system for heating.
Parking in Swaffham is free and there are many spaces within easy access including a row in front of the church, but please be aware of the 2 hour time limit Monday to Saturday. There is a drop-off space in front of the church and a pedestrian crossing immediately outside the church.